I have seen many examples over the last few years of economists, police officers and government officials trying to discredit journalist – and I don’t count “banana-republics” like Greece, Turkey or Russia. The EU is working on a new media directive that enables the European authorities to fine or deprive journalists of their right to work if they don’t apply by certain rules. In their 2013 report Scandinavian intelligence services warns of terrorists and infiltrators increasingly posing as journalists to get access to politicians and other high-level officials. The whole profession that once based its existence on trust have become less trustworthy than a used car salesman.
“I think it’s pretty extraordinary that anyone that would call themselves a journalist would publicly muse about whether or not other journalists should be charged with felony.”
I guess British journalist Glenn Greenwald at The Guardian. the mainstream media reporter involved in breaking the NSA surveillance scandal, must be asking himself some rather fundamental questions these days.
Greenwald is being accused of aiding and embedding the US whistleblower, Edward Snowden, throughout the ordeal and now he has to defend why he shouldn’t be charged with a crime.
So is Glenn Greenwald a criminal? Should journalists be afraid to do their job?
All things related:
- US Surveillance: More Than Just Surveillance
- Open Letter From A Closed TV Station
- Who Do You Trust?
- What Do Turkish And American Politicians Have In Common?
- Fight For Your Right To Privacy (Or Someone Else Will)
- The Invisible Footnotes of EU’s Media Control Directive
- The Endless Stream of Purified Nonsens…and one thing…
- Spies Like US
- US Governor, Canadian Official, Sarah Palin; Call For Assassination Of Julian Assange
- Mobile Operator Filtering Political Satire
- Russian MP Proposes to Jail Journalist for Making “Negative Content” on TV
‘Other related articles:
- Obama … Criminalize Journalism (tarpon.wordpress.com)
- Washington Post Puzzled by Strange New Category of Opinionated Journalist, Despite Employing Many of Them (reason.com)
- David Gregory Wonders Why Glenn Greenwald Shouldn’t Be Charged With a Crime (minx.cc)
- | Greenwald slams MSM for criminalising investigative journalism! (warcrimesinternational.wordpress.com)
- Glenn Greenwald Explodes At ‘Servants To Power’ In Media: They’re ‘Defending The Royal Court’ (patdollard.com)
All Human Rights Reserved (h) 2013